Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Rain in Spain Falls Mainly on the...Brows

My Pop used to tell us we were "Black Irish." Said my dark features that didn't look so Irish were all about the Spanish Armada crashing off the shores of Ireland, mixing with the freckled folk and making babies with thick, dark hair and names like Murray. This was universally believed as an untruth in the family -- and mostly just fodder for laughs and ridicule.

Until today.

Got off the plane in Madrid. Not even off the tram from the terminal and the likeness was undeniable. Big, righteous brows everywhere you look! Men and women alike with unruly ones like mine, my Pops and Arantxa Sanchez Vicario's.

I've come home.
Bienvenido, SJM...

3 comments:

  1. Can you say "Frida Kahlo"? :) Glad you're there safe and sound. P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All this time I thought this story was like the hard back yellow sulfur bug that my sister created from eggs she hid in her drawer. Glad to hear you've come home. xo me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god. I can't stop laughing. Wear 'em proud, Murray...wear 'em proud. -simbs

    ReplyDelete