Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Explaining the Hiatus

Took a little T.O. this past week from the adventure train. Couldn't tell y'all about it ahead of time-- as I was surprising my sister, Mar, at her baby shower in Maine. She is due to birth some new life onto this Earth on May 29th - our Mom's birthday. It is no myth -- pregnant women beam with something otherworldly. She is so bright and full of motherness. Glorious to see her in that state.

Had an amazing time being back in the States. I was ripe for a little break from the anonymity of traveling alone. Got off the plane in New York and actually felt like I was home. Mind you, I traveled to that big, burly city every other month for ten years and NEVER felt anything remotely similar. And being in front of the woodstove in Maine...with Mom's lasagna in the oven...and Nanny Alice sharing old stories from the classroom. Golden.

Not easy to hop back on a plane at JFK today for so many reasons. Doesn't take a trip around the world to make me appreciate all the beauty I am blessed with in my life at this moment in time -- but sure lends some important perspective.

Next stop: Morocco to hang with Nicole Matsuka -- former Fulbright Scholar who is doing roll-your-sleeves-up grassroots work with girls and women in sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment