Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hope


9:00: Breakfast at a mosaic-tiled, seaside cafe in Kalk Bay. Sunday-paced people. Freshly baked bread. Dogs welcome. Leaf drawn perfectly in the top of my oh-so-smooth latte.

11:00: Dodge ostriches and try to keep my dreamy eyes on the road en route to the Cape of Good Hope, the edge of the African continent. Moon is out at noon. Sea is boiling like I've never seen before. Wind blows my visor off my head. Three times. Sun exploding in the sky. Feels like Mother Nature has let down her curly hair, kicked up her strong feet and started a wild game of truth or dare with the Greek Gods here.

1:00: Back to Kalk Bay to watch fisherman bring in their catch. The woman in the picture is selling Angel Fish. She believed, that if I double bagged it, I could slip one into my backpack without it stinking up my clothes. She was so charming, I almost agreed.

4:00: Visit Schellenbosh in the winelands. Vineyards close early on Sundays. Made quick friends with Antoinette, who let me come in to the tasting room to hang with she and her friend, Douglas. He knows more about Barack Obama than you or I will ever know. I am not exaggerating. Antoinette gives us a secret, no-lights-on tour of the fermenters. Sneak tastes of the grapes on the vines on my way down the driveway.

6:00: Ipod turned up. Michael Franti singing in my ears. Arm out window of car. Alive and quite well today.

No comments:

Post a Comment