Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obamafied


Is there anything else to be talking about today? I mean, really. The whole world is celebrating. I used to travel around to places and be tentative about telling folks I was an American. I even considered sewing a Canadian flag patch on my backpack. Traveling feels very different now. Obama makes it different.

Mand and Jeff, thank you for this t-shirt. Its one of only 5 that I brought with me. It has been the source of 2 free drinks and handful of great conversations so far on this trip. Walking down the street in Capetown, a parking attendant is giving me the up and down looks. Ready to briskly walk past with a steel jaw. "Hey Mama," he says. "Here we go," i think. "I love OH BA Ma, too." Thumbs up exchanged.

Douglas, from the vineyard, watched the U.S. election night in the capital city of Zimbabwe. [Sidebar: Zimbabwe is ruled by a tyrannical man who has been in power for 27 years and is basically holding the people of the country captive.] Anyhow, Douglas had been glued to the whole campaign from start to finish. When it was clear that Obama had won, he said he sat in his chair and cried for an hour. He believes Obama can help free the people of Zimbabwe.

Big day, America. Big day. So proud. Obama shirt is a little stinky, but I'm wearing it anyway....

2 comments:

  1. beautiful stuff!! so wonderful to feel the power of today's events from across the globe. much love to you - ang & steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly one of the most profound days of my life. So many thoughts and emotions clouded my mind all day. If there is one person that I would have loved to share it with is you!!! Sal, Obama is our President. I can only imagine the global impact. It must be great to be emersered in another culture sharing the love! I hope all is going well. I think about you daily and wish good thoughts and safe travels. I'm so sorry to hear you were robbed. Are you okay? Do you need anything?
    Let me know!
    Love you more than I love that Obama is our President... That's a whole lot!!!!

    ReplyDelete