Sunday, April 12, 2009

2065: What A Year It Has Been


I left Nepal one day before their biggest celebration - the Nepali New Year. The streets of Kathmandu were buzzing with preparations to usher in 2066. My next destination: USA. Personally poetic that I’m leaving on the last day of the year and coming back home at Easter – when many folks are also celebrating a rebirth. I’ve decided to postpone South America for now. My sister, Mar, is on the verge of having her first baby and I wouldn’t miss it for the World (literally).

I went on this journey in search of something colorful and bold – in the world around me, and in myself. Did I find it? Hard to tell. I'm not sure I can sum this experience up in any sort of neat conclusion. Every day was surely a ride – emotionally, socially, and practically. In this blog, you saw a lot of the happy drama -- so much beauty out there. But there were tough times.

One day, I was in Jeffrey’s Bay, South Africa. My credit card had been cloned. Waiting on money to be wired, I only had a few bucks. I had not hit my stride -- feeling more lost and lonely than ever before. I went to yoga in this woman’s living room. She said something that I clung to, writing it in my journal in huge, page-filling letters:

“What if, we didn’t need to add anything to this moment…if we viewed it as complete and not in need of change?”

For the rest of the trip, I kept it close, like a mantra or motto. If there is one change I’ve noticed in myself, it’s that appreciation of the moment. The constant motion of the trip combined with the uncertainty of a major life shift, has challenged me to find happiness in staying present. Smelling the apple before biting. Listening to the songs kids sing thru school windows. Not living for what was or what will be - just what is.

I guess I’ve changed in that way. That, and, I’m far more likely to dip my bread in food and 100 times more humble.

Thanks to all those who took me in, fed me, hugged me and shared the days. Thanks to all the strangers who made me feel less strange. And all the gratitude in my heart to my family and family of friends for the never-ending support and encouragement.

Love.
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment