Monday, April 6, 2009

Home Away from Home

Today the whole country of Nepal is on strike. I was supposed to travel by Jeep and foot to a real remote and area called Sicles. Guess they have a women's movement happening in this super traditional Gurung village - microloans, daycare, women-run unions, the whole bit. But, when strikes happen, no vehicles are allowed on the road. Word on the streets has it that the strike is because its the birthday of a government official that the folks don't like - so they want to spoil it. Logical? No. But Nepal does as Nepal damn well pleases. Decided to take the time to update this baby...

Spent the past week hanging in Pokhara - a beautifully laid-back town tucked away in the foothills of the Himalayas. Lovely place to rest my battered feet, but the real sauce has been spending every day with my Nepali guide friends and their families. I have had an invitation to lunch and/or dinner every day. Becoming quick, caring friends is the Nepali way. The gals can't understand why I am so blown away by their immediate closeness. My buddy Saru even pantsed (flagged) me this morning in front of a bunch of European vacationers. Yeah, it's like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment